Saturday 7 September 2013

Ommel 2005

   I've been sorting through digital photos so that one day I might actually find what I'm looking for. Anyway, I revisited a set of photos that I took in 2005 and decided that they are the makings of a good photo essay.  


   The subject is Ommel, the farm at Pearsondale near Sale in Victoria, that Doortje's parents acquired in the late 1960s. This photo is part of the introduction, showing the lady of the manor and her daughter looking out over the property.

   The photos were all taken in an hour or so and my aim was to preserve some of the sights that had become so familiar over the years that we ignored them. This shot featuring the old hay cart was taken in the implement shed.

   A favourite place for me was the edge of the swamp where this carcase of a 1940s sedan rested for the forty years that I knew the place. I thought it was photogenic and took lots of shots.

   As the sun got lower and the light got better, I took more and more shots of the late summer grass.  This shows the decommissioned dairy.

   All I did to complete the set was to choose forty photos that could be cropped to 16:9 without detracting from the composition. You can see the results at


   I recommend that you click on the first photo in the set and when you see the three dots in the bottom right-hand corner, click on this and choose "view Slideshow". (Flickr is hopeless to work out). There are no descriptions for the photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment